Sunday, August 21, 2011

A month and a half later...

It's been about a month and a half since I returned to the States.  In that time, I've been able to process much of what happened during those six weeks in Santiago.


A month and a half later with school starting tomorrow, I can now firmly say that this summer project was one of the best experiences of my life.  I learned so much and made so many lifelong friends that it was- and still is- hard to leave that behind.  But I know that I have to move on.  I can't stay wrapped up in memories of summer project forever, especially when there is so much I have to do for my campus ministry here at the University of Arizona.  To perpetually dwell on the past robs you of the present.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not cutting summer project people out of my life at all.  That's not what I mean.  What I mean is, I've seen people who have a horrible semester at school because they keep dwelling on project, and I don't want to do that.  Yes, summer project was an amazing experience,  and I'm so glad I got to be a part of it.  But it's in the past.  I now need to take the lessons I learned in Chile and bring them back to my campus.

It's okay to miss friends and even Chile itself.  And I do.  I miss my teammates and everyone in Chile terribly.  But I have to be content in where God has put me for the time being, and that's not in Chile.  It's back here in the States for at least the next year.  And if God wants to send me back to Chile someday, then that will be awesome.  But it's his decision, not mine, and I trust that he will place me exactly where he wants me.  We serve too great of a God to believe anything different. :)

I know this is kind of scattered, but these are the feelings I've been struggling with for the last month and a half.  I wanted to leave you with a couple verses that have helped me so much over this time of readjustment and getting ready for school.
"Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile.  Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper... For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."- Jeremiah 29:7, 11

1 comment:

  1. God bless you on your first day of school! Thank you so much again for your work on Chilean campuses. I miss you, but I´m sure God is going to give you an amazing semester. You´ll see His wonderful power and love at your school too.
    Camila Alarcón

    ReplyDelete